Kahk (Egyptian Dessert).
You can cook Kahk (Egyptian Dessert) using 10 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Kahk (Egyptian Dessert)
- Prepare 360 grams of Cake flour.
- Prepare 180 grams of Ghee.
- It’s 30 grams of White toasted sesame seeds.
- Prepare 1 of Your favorite spices, such as cinnamon, clove, or cardamom.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Granulated sugar.
- It’s 10 grams of Dry yeast.
- You need 100 grams of Date (or raisins).
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of Ghee.
- It’s 1 tbsp of White toasted sesame seeds.
- You need 1 of Powdered sugar.
Kahk (Egyptian Dessert) instructions
- Melt the ghee in a sauce pan. Sift together the cake flour, spices, and granulated sugar..
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, and place the roasted white sesame seeds in the middle. Once the ghee is hot, gradually pour it over the sesame seeds..
- With a rubber spatula, mix the dough without kneading. Adjust the amount of ghee to achieve the right firmness, taking care not to make it too soft..
- Once the dough is no longer floury and is cool enough to hold in your hands, add the activated yeast as instructed on the package, and knead it into the dough..
- Knead the dough by hand and bring it together. Let it rise for 30 minutes to 1 hour..
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Blend the dates (or raisins) in a food processor. Add the cinnamon and the sesame seeds..
- Add the melted ghee and bring it together. Roll the filling into a rope, tear off small amounts, then roll them into balls about 2 cm in diameter..
- Make the dough from Step 5 into a thick rope, tear off dough pieces, shape them into 5 cm ellipses, then spread them flat with your hands..
- Place the filling from Step 7 onto the center of the dough, wrap it and roll it out into balls. Gently press on the top of the dough to flatten slightly..
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, arrange the dough in rows, then make a pattern on them by pressing down on top with the back of a fork..
- Bake them in the oven for 25 minutes at 200℃, and when they are done, let them cool. (Freshly baked kahks easily fall apart as the ghee takes time to set.).
- Once they are cool, coat them with a generous amount of powdered sugar..