Hau Pia: Hawaiian Dessert.
You can have Hau Pia: Hawaiian Dessert using 4 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Hau Pia: Hawaiian Dessert
- You need 1 can of Coconut milk.
- You need 400 ml of Water.
- You need 1/2 cup of Cornstarch.
- You need 1/2 cup of Sugar.
Hau Pia: Hawaiian Dessert step by step
- Combine the coconut milk and water in a bowl and mix. Add 1/3 of this mixture to a separate bowl and mix in the cornstarch..
- Put the remaining 2/3 of the coconut mixture in a saucepan along with the sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and add the cornstarch and coconut milk mixture from Step 1..
- Heat the batter whilst constantly stirring with a wooden spatula. Incorporate the batter that sticks to the sides of the pan. Keep stirring for 10-15 minutes, until the mixture thickens and you can see the bottom of the pan when stirring with a wooden spatula. Once the mixture is a shiny, nice, white colour, it's ready..
- Whilst the batter is still hot, pour it into a tin and even out the surface. Let it set at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Hau pia is usually 1.5-2 cm thick. Once set, cut into squares and serve..
- Bonus: You could make a hau pia cream for bread or donuts by reducing the amount of cornstarch. It also makes a great cake filling!!.
- In Hawaiian "hau" means cold and "pia" is the name of a plant from which the starch used to be derived to make this dessert..
- The pia plant is native to Polynesia, but the word "pia" can refer to katakuriko, cornstarch, or tapioca..