You can have Christmas Pudding using 18 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Christmas Pudding
- It’s 8 oz of shredded suet, vegetarian is fine.
- Prepare 1 of dessert spoon mixed spice.
- It’s 1/2 tea spoon of grated nutmeg.
- It’s 1/4 tea spoon of ground cinnamon.
- Prepare 4 oz of self raising flour.
- Prepare 1 lb of soft Brown sugar (I used muscovado).
- Prepare 12 oz of white breadcrumbs (from stale bread) **.
- It’s 12 oz of sultanas.
- It’s 1 lb of currants.
- You need 4 oz of glace cherries, quartered.
- Prepare 2 oz of chopped almonds.
- You need 2 oz of chopped candied mixed peel.
- You need of Finely grated peel (zest) of 1 orange and 1 lemon.
- You need 1 of green Apple, peeled cored and finely chopped.
- You need 4 of eggs.
- It’s 10 fl oz of stout (I used Guinness) ##.
- It’s 4 Tablespoons of brandy or dark rum, or substitute orange juice.
- You need 2 tablespoons of brandy or rum, for 'Flaming'. Optional.
Christmas Pudding step by step
- Place first seven ingredients in a large bowl, mix thoroughly, you can use your hands for this, add the fruit, candied peel and nuts, mix well, add the Apple and grated peel. Mix well, use a wooden spoon now..
- In another bowl or jug whisk the eggs, add the stout and brandy / rum and whisk again..
- Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well. Mixture should be 'dropping consistency, I.e just drop off spoon. If too stiff add drop more stout or orange juice..
- It is traditional for all family members to 'Stir and make a wish' at this point.
- Cover bowl with cling film or a damp cloth, leave overnight for flavours to develope, stir again..
- Grease two 2 pint pudding basins, fill to brim with mixture, pack it down if necessary, cover with a disc of greaseproof paper, cover with aluminium foil or a pudding cloth, tie with string below the rim,fold the foil or cloth over the top. If using a flat bottom basin you can place a disc of greaseproof paper at the bottom to ease tipping out the pudding, remove before step 11 ignition !.
- You now have a choice, either steam the puddings for 8 hours, make sure they don't boil dry. Or, cook in a pressure cooker, cook without pressure for 30 minutes, then at full (15 lb) pressure for 90 minutes..
- When cooked and cooled remove foil/ cloth and paper and replace with fresh. Store in a cool, dry place, will keep 12 months or more if stored correctly..
- When required either steam for two hours or pressure cook at full (15lb) pressure for 20 minutes, allow to de-pressurise before opening..
- Remove foil / cloth and paper, place a large plate on top, invert and shake out pudding..
- Now the 'Best Bit, pour over two tablespoons of brandy or rum and carefully ignite. This step is optional.Allow to flame out, cut in to wedges and serve..
- Serve with your choice of custard, cream(whipped or runny) and/ or brandy butter..
- This pudding is very rich, so be aware when serving !.
- Will post photo of 'actual' pudding when dished up on Christmas day (if I remember !).
- If you don't have a stale loaf, make breadcrumbs from fresh bread and dry, without colouring, in a low oven. *.
- ## You can use 5 fl oz Barley wine (if you can find it !) and 5 fl oz stout ##.